Photographer's Note

Some half-timbered façades in the 'altstadt' (old town) of Limburg.

The town of Limburg (officially Limburg an der Lahn) lies in western Hesse between the Taunus and the Westerwald on the river Lahn.

About 800, the first castle buildings arose on the Limburg crags. This was designed for protection, probably for a ford on the river Lahn. In the decades that followed, the town arose under the castle’s protection. Limburg had its first documentary mention in 910 under the name Lintpurc when Louis the Child granted Konrad Kurzbold an estate in the community on which he was to build a church. Konrad Kurzbold laid the foundation stones for Saint George’s Monastery Church, where he was also buried. The community soon gathered importance with the monastery’s founding and profited by the lively goods trade on the Via Publica.

In 1150, a wooden bridge was built across the Lahn. The long-distance road from Cologne to Frankfurt am Main thereafter ran through Limburg. In the early 13th century, Limburg Castle was built in its current form. Shortly thereafter, the town passed into the ownership of the Lords of Ysenburg. In 1214, the community was granted town rights. Remains of the fortification wall from the years 1130, 1230 and 1340 with a greatest ever length of roughly one thousand metres show even today the blossoming town’s quick development in the Middle Ages. There is proof of a mint in Limburg in 1180.

(Source: Wikipedea)

The original image was captured on slide film. It has since been digitised and 'cleaned-up' using Photoshop CS2.

jhm, Buin, Budapestman, jlbrthnn, chinchini, Didi oznaczy³ to zdjêcie jeko u¿yteczne

Photo Information
Viewed: 2986
Points: 30
  • None
Additional Photos by Stephen Nunney (snunney) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 10627 W: 63 N: 29872] (130967)
View More Pictures