Photographer's Note

Another view of Schloss Montabaur, which today is run as a 4-star conference hotel and schooling centre for the Raiffeisenbanken and credit unions and is owned by the Akademie Deutscher Genossenschaften (“Academy of German Cooperatives”).

Montabaur castle in brief:

Montabaur castle was mentioned as a centre for the archbishops and prince-electors of Trier. Town and castle were called “Humbach”.

1280 – 1290
After a reconciliation, Archbishop Dietrich II. delegated the administration and defence of the castle to Count Heinrich von Nassau.

1687 – 1709
During the reign of Archbishop Hugo von Orsbeck (1676-1711) there were far-reaching constructional alterations, accomplished by the court’s architects of Trier Johann Chr. Sebastiani and J. Honorius Ravensteyn.

Transferred to the duchy of Nassau. It was used as a shooting-lodge.

1851 – 1945
Headquarters of the teachers-college.

1945 – 1968
Headquarters of the district magistrate’s office of the lower Westerwald area.

1946 - 1968
Headquarters of the “district administration” Montabaur

On the occasion of its 75th anniversary as the cooperatives central bank, the Deutsche Genossenschaftskasse - today the DZ-Bank Frankfurt - handed the purchased castle into its assigned purpose.

In 1981 the Academy of German cooperatives e.V. purchased Montabaur castle.

(Source: http://www.adgonline.de)

The picture was originally captured on slide film. It has been digitised and 'cleaned-up' in Photoshop CS2.

Photo Information
Viewed: 2033
Points: 48
  • None
Additional Photos by Stephen Nunney (snunney) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 10627 W: 63 N: 29872] (130967)
View More Pictures