Photographer's Note

In 1499 the first fortification in Rion was made by Bayazid II, smaler in area with a double cirquit and moat.In 1532 it was taken by the Spaniards and Andrea Doria and retaken by the Turks.In 1603 the Knights of Malta wrought significant destruction.In 1687 it was taken by Morozini.Drastic repairs were made and it received the form it has today.New towers-bastions, strengthened ramparts.The fortress was siezed by the Turks in 1715 and in 1828 after a siege the Turks surender it to general Maison.It was repaired and handed over to Greeks.
For sometime it was used as a prison.
Today at last it belongs to Ministry of cultur and it is under restoration.

Muse, portmanndominic, chrkont, parbo, CRATEOS oznaczył to zdjęcie jeko użyteczne

Photo Information
Viewed: 1816
Points: 31
Additional Photos by Nikos Nikolaou (nikosrio) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 120 W: 0 N: 140] (1158)
View More Pictures