Photographer's Note

Having visited the places of interest in the town we recommend to take some trips around Kőszeg to complete your impression about the town. During our walk in the town we could see the Kálvária (Calvary) Church standing on the Calvary Hill, from almost every point of the town. The church built at an elevation of 393 m, can only be reached on foot. At the beginning of the serpentine road towards the church a bombproof underground shelter can be seen in which the Holy Crown was kept by the Szálasi Government during the air raids, between December 1944 and March 1945. Along the road leading to the church there is a row of stations. Georg Schweitzer, a stone-carver of Sopron, built the first ones in 1763. They were demolished in 1890 and 14 new ones and a chapel were built according to the plans of Ludwifg Schöne, an architect of Vienna. On the top of Calvary Hill in 1686, the Jesuits erected the first cross, made of wood, in the place of which, later a chapel was built in 1715. On the proposal of the Jesuits the town started to build the church in 1729 from the money survivors donated after the sever plague epidemic in 1712. According to the traditions, in expiation, the Kőszeg citizens carried the some 40,000 bricks used for the building by hand to the site. The church, completed by 1734, with its baroque decorations and construction is a unique, impressive building. Especially remarkable is the harmony of the church and the landscape. At the frontage of the church there are two round and a rectangular towers. the façade is decorated with beautiful baroque statues. in the middle we can see the crucified Jesus, on the right and left, the two thieves. At the foot of the crucifix there are the figures of Mary Magdalene, the Holy Virgin and John the Baptist. The single nave of the church was extended on both sides with a chapel. The simple altar of the burial chapel of Ják was brought here after the fire had completely damaged the old one in 1947. A hermitage was also built next to the church. Here lived count Heinrich Weiss, the first painter of the church. He, protecting the vineyards, tolled the bells of the church when rain clouds were approaching the town. In return, the town provided him food.


The small town with nearly 12,000 residents, with sub-alpine climate, is situated at the foothills of the Alps. The settlement and its vicinity at the foot of the Kőszeg hills, in the valley of the brook Gyöngyös has been inhabited since the 6th-7th centuries. In the 14th century it was given the rank of free royal town. The castle built in the13th century was named after captain Miklós Jurisics, who managed to hold up the Turkish troops advancing towards Vienna in 1532 with the help of the inhabitants. Its guilds, trade, vine growing and wine making, schools have a long history. The mediaeval town centre was not affected by the historical events, so inside the one-time town walls, the remains of which can still be seen, the houses have been preserved in their original form in Jurisics square and in the neighbouring streets.
(Source-www.Koszeg.hu & hungary.com)

Photo Information
Viewed: 3465
Points: 96
Additional Photos by George Rumpler (Budapestman) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 8900 W: 3 N: 20435] (82620)
View More Pictures