Photographer's Note

Fire Watch Tower (tűztorony), Veszprém

One of the symbols of Veszprém, which was originally built as a watchtower, was later rebuilt for the purpose of watching fires.
Once known as the watch tower, this Baroque fire tower designed by Henrik Tumler was erected in 1811 on the remnants of a medieval bastion.
The clock beneath the spire can be seen from a distance and marks the passing of time with music. In summer, the wonderful view of the town is well worth the climb to the top.


Also known as the town of queen consorts, Veszprém is built on seven hills. Its historical and architectural heritage stretches back to the Hungarian Settlement and the town is the intellectual and economic centre of its region.
Veszprém lies on the borders of two geographical regions: the Balaton Uplands (Balaton-felvidék) and the Bakony Hills. The River Séd carved deep valleys into the terrain here, hence Veszprém's other name: 'the town built on seven hills' - each with its own name.
The town is also known as the town of queen consorts, which began with Gisella, St Stephen's wife. The establishment of Hungary's first and oldest cathedral is connected to her name. The bishops of Veszprém had the privilege of crowning the queen consorts, and they wore the office of the chancellery of queen consorts. The town nurtures fond memories of Gisella: the arts and science festival of the Gisella Days begin on her name day each year in May.
The castle was built in the 10th-11th centuries on one of the seven hills of Veszprém. The castle district later gained a Baroque character. Most sights, including excellent lookouts and important cultural venues, are clustered here.

The encircling wall that embraces Castle Hill is almost the only remaining testament to the former fortress. There are, however, an abundance of historic buildings here in the castle district. Giselle, the first Hungarian queen consort, established Hungary's oldest cathedral. That building was destroyed but its Romanesque-style foundations and Gothic sanctuary and undercroft were integrated into the neo-Romanesque St Michael's Church. The chapel named after Giselle is a famous work from the Árpád Age architectural era and has a Gothic mural.

Photo Information
Viewed: 1808
Points: 55
  • None
Additional Photos by George Rumpler (Budapestman) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 8900 W: 3 N: 20435] (82620)
View More Pictures