Zdjęcia

Photographer's Note

Church of Santa Maria del Casale - Brindisi
The elegant church of Santa Maria del Casale is situated on the homonymous street, near the airport, and is one of the most famous monuments of the Brindisi.
Built between the late thirteenth century and the beginning of the next Prince of Taranto Filippo of Anjou, on the site of a chapel that preserved an icon Marian tied to a pious tradition to St. Francis of Assisi, returning from holy land, would have prayed here, it is a splendid example of Romanesque-Gothic style. It was donated in 1300 by King Charles II to Archbishop Pandone.
May 15, 1310 here settled, the court ordered by Pope Clement V to judge the order of the Knights Templar, who canceled two years later, with papal bulls following the conviction.
In 1322 Philip of Anjou, Prince of Taranto and his wife Catherine erected the chapel of St. Catherine.
The April 26, 1568 Archbishop Giovanni Carlo Bovio ceded to the Friars Minor, the church, the land and outbuildings. The construction of the adjacent cloisters and convent were initiated by the Observant Minor, in 1598 we took over the Reformed concluded that the construction work of the monastery between 1635 and 1638.
The church in 1811 was suppressed by Murat's government and was used as a barracks. The Franciscans returned there in 1824 and sought to repair the severe damage.
The facade is cuspidata, crossed by pilasters supporting arches, the center opens the portal, surmounted by a porch roof of elegant workmanship and consists of a succession of climbing brackets projecting that grow from the bottom up; the play of colors of the wall face, made of blocks of carparo and white stone, creates a sophisticated geometric warping.
The interior with a single Latin cross nave, houses a precious Byzantine frescoes rediscovered cycle in the last century after being hidden for more than two centuries for mortar and Baroque altars: The Last Judgment on the counter, running into four compartments by Rinaldo Taranto; on the left wall of the Cross The tree, twelve branches to symbolize the apostles and the heraldry of the city of Brindisi, Annunciation, The Allegory of Giglio Angioino, The Virgin of the Knights, The Virgin and Child with Saints; The Stories of the Passion in the presbytery, Entombment, Christ in the Tomb, Marys at the Tomb, the Wedding at Cana, the Last Supper, Pentecost; apse Christ Enthroned among Angels, Nativity, Crucifixion; in the transept of the Annunziata, Stories of St. Catherine and the Madonna and Child. Other highlights include the coats of arms of the clients for the study of medieval heraldry.
Inside, there is a marble column with the cross, of the ninth century, attributed to dell'Osanna tradition.

PaulVDV, holmertz, pajaran, Fis2, ikeharel, papagolf21, pierrefonds, macjake, snunney, jhm, mcmtanyel oznaczył to zdjęcie jeko użyteczne

Photo Information
Viewed: 857
Points: 36
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Silvio Sorcini (Silvio1953) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 17840 W: 130 N: 37531] (204098)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH