Photographer's Note

The staircase was born from a competition launched in 1960 and won by Roman architects Lucio and Adriano Cambellotti.
The material is a concretion of asphalt cement and stone chips Sardo (granite and limestone), which surrounds the scale, creating space for rest and move up to a peak that dominates the early Christian burial to "arcosolium", found during the work.

Originally the project was to include the spaces to the Columbus Avenue and the sea (on Siccu) in a single solution. Initiated between 1962 and 1963, the staircase was open to the public in 1967, after several interruptions.
The staircase, long, well, it has not a definite axis, instead of using a mass balance rather than symmetry, so that the ascent allows for the progressive discovery of the facade of the basilica, to the Marian column which commemorates the miraculous event (1370 ) arrival by sea of ​​the wooden box containing the venerated statue of Our Lady of Bonaria, however stylistically later.

The Sanctuary of Our Lady of Bonaria is a religious complex located in the city of Cagliari Piazza Bonaria, on the hill of the same name.

The most important Marian shrine of Sardinia for the Catholic Church, consists of a small church (the true sanctuary of fourteenth-century origin), to the left of the basilica latest, which is accompanied by a larger temple, elevated to the title Papal Basilica Minor by Pope Pius XI in 1926.

See WS original color photo

Nikon D80
ISO 200
Lens 18-135 mm.
Focal Length 32 mm.
Speed Shutter 1/160
Lens Aperure f/9
Software CS5 - Silver Effex Pro

Photo Information
Viewed: 3694
Points: 140
Additional Photos by mario carlos (marcan44) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 582 W: 74 N: 1351] (6315)
View More Pictures