Zdjęcia

Photographer's Note

Church of the Madonna del Pozzo - Spoleto

This tiny church is incorporated into a building, at the end of Via Monterone, on the right, just before the door, the southern entrance to the medieval city and the ancient route of the Via Flaminia.
In front of the altar there is a well, now closed, from which sulphurous water flowed, considered miraculous for the healing of mange or scabies, which is why the chapel was built there. Following the visit of the archbishop of Gaeta, Pietro de Lunel (1572), it was made "decens" with the construction of the chapel and the facade, made possible by the construction of the upper building.
It was restored by the Amici di Spoleto in 1963.
The exterior has a facade with four pilasters that support a tympanum, a cross is sculpted above. Above the small door opens a square window, on the sides there are two rectangular ones
The tiny interior presents on the left wall, within niches distinguished by pillars with ribbon-like decorations, San Pietro and San Paolo, sixteenth-century frescoes by an unknown artist.
A valuable fresco of 1493, attributed to Bernardino Campilio, depicts in the center the Madonna with blessing Jesus, between Saints John the Baptist and Saint Peter Martyr, co-patron of Spoleto, depicted in classical iconography: reclining head, martyrdom palm, and book. "The combination of stylistic, ornamental and graphic elements makes it possible to attribute this mural triptych (Madonna and Child between Saints John the Baptist and Peter martyr, patron saint of Spoleto) to Bernardino Campilio da Spoleto, an imaginative artist who, in addition to painting, was known to delight also of poetry and music (he played zither and lute). He was a native of Lenano, near Campello, the locality from which he took the Latinized name Campilius, and he left works throughout the Spoletino area, in the southern Valnerina and in the Piceno. He was in contact with Pier Matteo d’Amelia at the time of the Terni polyptych (1483). The influence of the Amerine master is revealed in the Saint John the Baptist of the present fresco and in the same saint in the Arrone triptych, now reduced to only the predella signed and dated 1487 (soon to be published). He can be considered the last native Spoleto painter before the advent of Giovanni Spagna and Jacopo Siculo, followers and popularizers of Perugino and Raphael respectively ". (Romano Cordella). Below is the inscription: IMAGO S. JOHANNIS BAPTISTAE * ANNO GRATIAE MCCCCXCIII MENSIS OCTOBRIS XI * IMAGO S. PETRI MARTIRIS.
On the right wall, by the same hand and with the same decoration as the opposite wall, Saint Francis and Saint Anthony of Padua, The vault depicts the Eternal, the frieze is made up of metopes with cherubs separated by triglyphs; above the door is the nineteenth-century Marian monogram with the crescent of the Ascension.
Above the altar table is a painted table, difficult to read, which refers to the miracles worked in 1500 and 1535.

Curiosity
The church is home to the smallest museum in Umbria, the "Opus & Light" by Studio A'87, since 1997, on a monthly or bimonthly basis, it provides interventions by artists and miracles, contemporary cultural operators of different generations in the space of little church. Project conceived and edited by Franco Troiani. SEE WS

Fis2, ikeharel, ChrisJ, holmertz, pierrefonds, jhm, PaulVDV, PiotrF, worldcitizen, COSTANTINO, adramad oznaczył to zdjęcie jeko użyteczne

Photo Information
Viewed: 0
Points: 36
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Silvio Sorcini (Silvio1953) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 17715 W: 130 N: 37225] (202908)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH