Zdjêcia

Photographer's Note

Autumn colours in the city centre of Milano, inside the Parco Sempione, the main green area of heart of the city.
Located between Sforza Castle and corso Sempione, from which it has taken its name, Parco Sempione is historically the second public park in Milan, as well as the biggest of the central parks in the city. It was built in 1890-1893 by the architect Emilio Alemagna on the area for-merly occupied in the 13th century by "the Barcho", the largest of the ducal gardens.
It owes its existence to the period of crisis in the building sector which characterised those years in Milan.
The park, in the English style, is characterised by a large central meadow framed by alleys and small woods which stretch from South to North for its entire length, creating a wonderful perspective effect between the Castle and the Arco della Pace, which face one other.
In the middle of the meadow, half way between the two monuments, lies a small lake which branches off in two arms, one of which is crossed by the "Ponte delle Sirenette" (Bridge of the little Mermaids). The bridge was moved here from its original site in 1830, af-ter the Navigli (cannals) were covered. The four cast-iron mermaids which decorate it, the work of the sculptor Tettamanti, are known in Milan as the "Sorelle Ghisini" (Cast-iron Sis-ters).
In the central area of the park are also to be found the Fontana metafisica (Metaphysical fountain) or "Bagni Misteriosi" (Mysterious Baths) by De Chirico, some playgrounds, and a little hill, the Monte Tordo, where the Monument to Napoleon III by Francesco Barzaghi and a little local library are located. Outside the railings enclosing the central area of the park, on the West side, rises the Arena or Stadio Civico, a neoclassic building built by Luigi Canonica in 1806, which hosts sport events. Not far away are situated the Civic Aquarium and a foun-tain of sulphuretted water, called the fountain "of rotten water" and very popular among the Milanese. On the West side stands the Palazzo dell'Arte, which hosts the Milan's Triennale exhibition, and nearby the tower of the park (once called "Torre Littoria"), a 109 metres high, steel-tube construction built in 1932 from a project by Cesare Chiodi, Giò Ponti and Ettore Ferrari, and today finally reopened to the public after years of neglect.

Model: Canon DIGITAL IXUS 50
Software: Capture NX 1.0.0 W
Exposure Time: 1/30
F-Stop: f/4.9
Focal Length: 17.4 mm
Date Taken: 2006-10-29 15:02
Metering Mode: Center Weighted Average
Flash: Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
File Size: 190 kb

Photo Information
Viewed: 3100
Points: 66
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Paolo Motta (Paolo) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 3739 W: 144 N: 8840] (41258)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH