Zdjêcia

Photographer's Note

13 «Los Jerónimos» was one of the most important convents in Madrid. Next to it there was the so-called Royal Room, later expanded as the Buen Retiro Palace in the times of Felipe IV. Since 1925 the church is considered a National Monument.

Its origins date back to 1464, when King Enrique IV of Trastamara founded the Monastery of Santa María del Paso on the banks of the Manzanares River, near El Pardo. Given the unhealthy area, the monks asked the kings for a transfer to a healthier place. Queen Isabel la Católica granted them the current location, in 1502, closer to the Court, known since then as the Prado de San Jerónimo.

The Monastery was an emblematic place of the Court, the scene of the swearing ceremonies of the heirs to the Spanish crown as princes of Asturias, from Felipe II (1528) to Isabel II (1833), as well as several Spanish Courts and ordinations Episcopalians.

The church and a cloister currently survive from the convent, behind the Prado Museum. The church is in the Gothic style. It rises on a Latin cross plan and is composed of a central nave, a transept and five chapels on each side. The monumental access staircase on Calle Alarcón was built for the wedding of Alfonso XIII and Victoria Eugenia, in 1906.

For its part, the cloister suffered a progressive deterioration throughout the 19th century and, after an agreement with the ecclesiastical authorities, it was recovered and incorporated into the Prado Museum as part of the extension designed by the architect Rafael Moneo. Due to its current external appearance, the cloister is popularly known as the «Moneo's Cube».

In 2010, the restoration work on the entire complex was completed, except for the stairs, by the architect Francisco Jurado, who recovered the previous image of the building.

--------------------------------------------------

13 «Los Jerónimos», fue uno de los conventos más importantes de Madrid. Junto a él existía el llamado Cuarto Real, luego ampliado como Palacio del Buen Retiro en tiempos de Felipe IV. Desde 1925 la iglesia es considerada Monumento Nacional.

Sus orígenes se remontan al año 1464, cuando el rey Enrique IV de Trastámara fundó el Monasterio de Santa María del Paso a orillas del río Manzanares, cerca de El Pardo. Dada la insalubridad de la zona, los monjes solicitaron a los reyes un traslado a otro sitio más saludable. La reina Isabel la Católica les concedió el actual emplazamiento, en 1502, más cercano a la Corte, conocido desde entonces como el Prado de San Jerónimo.

El Monasterio fue un lugar emblemático de la Corte, escenario de las ceremonias de juras de los herederos de la corona de España como príncipes de Asturias, desde Felipe II (1528) hasta Isabel II (1833), así como de varias Cortes Españolas y ordenaciones episcopales.

Del convento subsisten actualmente la iglesia y un claustro, a espaldas del Museo del Prado. La iglesia es de estilo gótico. Se levanta sobre una planta de cruz latina y está compuesta por una nave central, crucero y cinco capillas a cada lado. La monumental escalinata de acceso de la calle Alarcón fue construida para la boda de Alfonso XIII y Victoria Eugenia, en 1906.

Por su parte, el claustro sufrió un progresivo deterioro a lo largo del siglo XIX y, tras un acuerdo con las autoridades eclesiásticas, fue recuperado e incorporado al Museo del Prado como parte de la ampliación diseñada por el arquitecto Rafael Moneo. Por su actual aspecto exterior, el claustro se conoce popularmente como el «Cubo de Moneo».

En 2010 se finalizaron las obras de restauración de todo el conjunto, excepto las escaleras, por el arquitecto Francisco Jurado, que recuperó la imagen anterior del edificio.

Fis2, COSTANTINO, ikeharel, PaulVDV, ChrisJ, lucasgalodoido oznaczy³ to zdjêcie jeko u¿yteczne

Photo Information
Viewed: 0
Points: 36
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Luis Garcia (adramad) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 8682 W: 5 N: 15679] (69926)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH