Zdjcia

Photographer's Note

Photo was taken in 1986 as color slide, after then, in 2005, slide was scan to digital format. Original shot was cut and color correct.

Large industrial city and the administrative center of Zaporizhya Province. The area of the province - 27,200 sq.km. The population of the province - 2,116,000. The population of the City of Zaporizhya - over 800,000.
The official date of the foundation of the city is August 26, 1770 when the erection of Fort Aleksandrovsk started. Some scientists suggest that it should be the date of setting up of the Cossack fortress on Khortytsya Island in 1554-55 by Hetman Bayda-Vyshnevetskiy. Others consider that the city was founded in the 11th century, when the first Slav fortress on Khortytsya Island was built (its ruins have been recently excavated).

The province is densely spotted with archeological excavation sites, some of them within the city limits of Zaporizhya. There are several sites dated by the periods of early and late paleolith, and over a hundred of the Bronze Age.

It is known that in 7th B.C. - 4th A.D. the Scythian state existed on the territory of the modern southern Ukraine with its capital on the Dnipro River. In the 4th century A.D. the territory was siezed by a nomad tribe of Huns, in the 6th century Avarians came, then - Khazars. After the defeat of Khazar Caganate (State) by Kyiv Prince Svyatoslav in 966 A.D. the territory fell under the control of the Polovtsians. In the beginning of the 12th century the Ukrainian Princes gathered on the Khortytsya Island, launched the campaign against Polovtsians and defeated them in the battle of the Molochna River. But shortly the Slav state was conquered by Tartar-Mongols, and the area went under the control of Crimean Khannat. By the end of the 15th century Cossack community appeared in the down flow of Dnipro. Gradually, it became a heavily fortified military base on the southern frontier of the Slav territory, which existed till 1775.

Modern Zaporizhya is a largely industrial community, built on the site of the former Fort Aleksandrovsk (founded in 1770). Dnipro Power Plant (DNIPROGES), built next to the famous Khortytsya Island in 1932, not only divided the city into the "Old City" and the "New City" but also gave a strong impact to the rapid industrial development of the Zaporizhya industrial complex now comprising over 300 hundred big companies.
(EuroScope)

Nobody oznaczy to zdjcie jeko uyteczne

Photo Information
Viewed: 3908
Points: 4
Discussions
Additional Photos by Alex Shainshein (s_a_s_h_a) Gold Star Critiquer/Silver Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 89 W: 25 N: 148] (607)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH