Photographer's Note

Rarely shown on TE Carrickfergus castle.

The castle seen over 800 years of military occupation, it was besieged in turn by the Scots, Irish, English and French and it continued to play a central part in a military role until 1928, today it is maintained by the Northern Ireland Environment Agency.
The core of the castle was built in 1177 by John de Courcy after he conquered the east of Ulster and ruled as a petty king until 1204 when he was ousted by another Norman adventurer, Hugh de Lacy.

In 1688 it was held as a garrison for James II, but in 1689 the Duke of Schomberg captured it and King William III himself landed at Carrickfergus in 1690 on his way to fight the Battle of the Boyne. In 1760 it was captured by a French force. They looted the castle and town and left, only to be caught and destroyed by the British Navy and in 1778, one of the first battles of the American War of Independence took place on the Lough.

Proudly ranked as one of the best-preserved medieval structures in Ireland.
Surrounded by sea, the keep of the castle is a four-storey tower, 90 ft high.

See king William III in life-size in the Workshop.

Photo Information
Viewed: 0
Points: 36
  • None
Additional Photos by Malgorzata Kopczynska (emka) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 13025 W: 139 N: 33704] (153748)
View More Pictures