Photographer's Note

Hagia Sophia was designed by Anthemios of Tralles and Isidoros from Miletos. The central dome is supported by four huge pendentives and among these pendentives there are big piers which seperate the center nave and the side naves and which are connected to each other through wide arches The central dome is supported by half domes in the east and west.
For over 900 years Hagia Sophia has been used as a church where the Orthodox Patriarch was seated. After the conquest of Istanbul in the year 1453 Hagia Sophia was converted into a mosque and the mosaics inside the building were covered to meet the requirements of the Islam Religion. Hagia Sophia which was converted into a museum by Mustafa Kemal in the year 1934 has been taken under protection by UNESCO in the year 1993. The coverage of the basilical infrastructure with a dom in east and west directions has created important problems with time

Jeppo oznaczył to zdjęcie jeko użyteczne

Photo Information
Viewed: 1097
Points: 8
  • None
Additional Photos by Gokalp Mutafcilar (Gokalp_17) Silver Note Writer [C: 4 W: 2 N: 30] (575)
View More Pictures