Zdjęcia

Photographer's Note

Sault Ste. Marie is the oldest city in Michigan, and the third-oldest city in the United States. Over the course of history, the flags of several sovereign nations have flown over the Sault.

Over 2,000 years ago, Native Americans began to gather here for the wealth of fish and fur found along the rushing waters of the wide, turbulent river that linked the Great Lakes of Superior and Huron. Spring and fall were important seasons for these original settlers, and they called the area “Bahweting,” or “The Gathering Place.”

The area’s first full-time residents lived in lodges framed of wood poles, sheathed with bark or animal hides. The river below the rapids provided an abundance of fish for native peoples, as well as for several tribes from throughout the region, which migrated here during the peak fishing season. It continues to remain a world-class spot for sport fishing.

In the 1600’s, French missionaries and fur traders began to venture into the beautiful territory. The traders began calling the wild area Sault du Gastogne. In 1668, the legendary Jesuit missionary and explorer Fr. Jacques Marquette renamed this burgeoning European settlement Sault Ste. Marie, in honor of the Virgin Mary—the first "city" in the Great Lakes region.

While there is some debate on the exact meaning of "Sault," scholars of early French note that the word translates into "jump" referring to the place where one needs to "jump" or "put into" the St. Mary’s River. This translation relates to the treacherous rapids and cascades that fall over 20 feet from the level of Lake Superior to the level of the lower lakes. Hundreds of years ago, this prohibited boat traffic and necessitated an overland portage from one lake to the other. This is how Portage Avenue, the main street running along the river, acquired its name.

Nobody oznaczył to zdjęcie jeko użyteczne

Photo Information
Viewed: 1369
Points: 0
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by James Olsson (Photobones) Gold Star Critiquer/Silver Note Writer [C: 92 W: 5 N: 30] (347)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH