Photographer's Note

The White River Light is a lighthouse on Lake Michigan near the city of Whitehall, Michigan. It sits on the thin peninsula of land separating Lake Michigan from White Lake. The White River Light station was built in 1875 just four years after the Great Chicago fire. A channel was dug in 1870 between Lake Michigan and White Lake to facilitate the access of lumber schooners. The ship captains were headed to the sawmills which were located on White Lake a tributary of the White River and adjacent to the majestic pine forests. Eventually passengers traveled on steamships from Chicago to enjoy the summer resort activities in the area.

The stately old building still reverberates with the character and stories of such prominent residents as the first keeper. Captain William Robinson came from England and served 47 years with his wife Sarah and their large family. Many significant keepers followed including the woman offering years of brave and dedicated service.

The light station was decommissioned in 1960 and opened its door as museum in 1970 under the ownership and management of Fruitland Township.

pajaran, jusninasirun, dta oznaczył to zdjęcie jeko użyteczne

Photo Information
Viewed: 946
Points: 14
  • None
Additional Photos by Zbigniew Kalinowski (fotka) Gold Star Critiquer/Silver Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 715 W: 10 N: 2212] (9113)
View More Pictures