Zdjęcia

Photographer's Note

New York, 5th avenue, St. Patrick´s Cathedral.


What a night! History in the making -
congratulations and good luck to Senator Obama,
who will be the 44th president of the United States!



*******************

St. Patrick's Cathedral is a decorated Neo-Gothic-style
Catholic cathedral church in North America. It is the
seat of the archbishop of the Roman Catholic
Archdiocese of New York, and a parish church, located
on the east side of Fifth Avenue between 50th and 51st
Streets in midtown Manhattan. It faces Rockefeller
Center.

The land on which the present cathedral sits was
purchased for $11,000 on March 6, 1810, as a site for a
school for young Catholic men to be conducted by the
Jesuits. This school failed, and in 1813 the land was
sold again to Dom Augustin LeStrange, abbot of a
community of Trappists (from the original monastery of
La Trappe) who came to America fleeing persecution by
French authorities. In addition to a small monastic
community, they also looked after some 33 orphans. With
the downfall of Napoleon in 1814, the Trappists
returned to France, abandoning the property. The
orphanage was maintained by the Diocese of New York
into the late 1800s. Some of the monks resettled to
Canada and eventually founded St. Joseph's Abbey in
Spencer.

The Diocese of New York, created in 1808, was made an
archdiocese by Pope Pius IX on July 19, 1850. On
October 6, 1850, Archbishop John Joseph Hughes
announced his intention to erect a new cathedral to
replace the Old St. Patrick's Cathedral in downtown
Manhattan. The "Old Cathedral" had been destroyed by
fire in 1866 but was rebuilt and rededicated by 1868.

The new cathedral was designed by James Renwick, Jr. in
the Gothic Revival style. The cornerstone was laid on
August 15, 1858, just south of the diocese's orphanage.
At that time, midtown Manhattan was far north of the
populous areas of New York City.

Work was begun in 1858 but was halted during the Civil
War and resumed in 1865. The cathedral was completed in
1878 and dedicated on May 25, 1879, its huge
proportions dominating the midtown of that time. The
archbishop's house and rectory were added from 1882 to
1884, and an adjacent school (no longer in existence)
opened in 1882. The Towers on the West Facade were
added in 1888, and an addition on the east, including a
Lady Chapel, designed by Charles T. Mathews, was begun
in 1901. The stained glass windows in the Lady Chapel
were designed and made in Chipping Campden, England by
Paul Vincent Woodroffe between 1912 and 1930. The
cathedral was renovated between 1927 and 1931, when the
great organ was installed and the sanctuary enlarged.

[from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Patrick%27s_Cathedral,_New_York]

*******************
Kameramodell Canon EOS 40D
Aufnahmedatum/-zeit 19.09.2008 13:48:57
Aufnahmemodus P (Programmautomatik)
Tv (Verschlusszeit) 1/250
Av (Blendenzahl) 13.0
Messmodus Mehrfeldmessung
Belichtungskorrektur 0
Filmempfindlichkeit (ISO) 250
Objektiv EF-S17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
Brennweite 50.0 mm
Bildgröße 3888x2592
Bildqualität Fein
Blitz Aus
Weißabgleich Automatisch
AF-Betriebsart One-Shot AF
Bildstil Landschaft
Schärfe 4
Kontrast 0
Farbsättigung 0
Farbton 0
Farbraum sRGB
Rauschreduzierung bei Langzeitbelichtung 1:Automatisch
High ISO Rauschreduzierung 1:Ein
Tonwert Priorität 1:Möglich
Dateigröße 3783 KB
Transportart Reihenaufnahme mit geringer Geschwindigkeit

s_lush, maloutim oznaczył to zdjęcie jeko użyteczne

Photo Information
Viewed: 1305
Points: 12
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Txxx Bxxx (thor68) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 760 W: 151 N: 919] (5586)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH