Photographer's Note

Saint Demetrios Greek Orthodox Cathedral in Astoria New York.
The people then felt a need to organize their own Church and in 1927 the ground on which St. Demetrios stands today, was purchased for $3,500. An architect was engaged and a $25,000 structure was agreed upon which could later serve as a basement for the someday completed structure of their dream.

With only $306.00 in their treasury, these immigrant people consisting of furriers, tailors, bakers and laborers gathered together on November 7, 1927 gathered together to form a charter with the State of New York and proclaimed the “Hellenic Orthodox Community of Astoria, St. Demetrios Inc.” as their official name. Twenty days later a cornerstone was laid at the present site of our St. Demetrios Church and only a short six months later on April 1, 1928 the basement was Consecrated as the first Church building of the Community with Metropolitan Germanos Polzoidis as its pastor.

From the inception of the Community an afternoon Greek School and a Sunday School Program was organized to hold on to the precious Greek language, customs, traditions and religion.
For nine years the parishioners worshipped in their small semi-basement Church. During holidays a tent was pitched on the grounds to accommodate the people. Meanwhile they dreamed and planned for the time when they could realize their ambition and complete the structure of St. Demetrios as they have originally conceived it. These were depression years and it wasn’t until 1936 before they could actually being building again. It took six years, but in 1942, the St. Demetrios Church as we know it today opened its doors. Five more years were needed to decorate the interior.

worldcitizen oznaczył to zdjęcie jeko użyteczne

Photo Information
Viewed: 1938
Points: 2
  • None
Additional Photos by Brano Boskovic (brano14) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 426 W: 110 N: 643] (3470)
View More Pictures