Photographer's Note

It appears to be the second church of Curitiba, built by slaves in 1737. It was the Church of the Blacks of Saint Benedict. With the abolition of slavery, lost its reason for being, only being kept because it is located along the path of the cemetery. Now called the Church of the Dead.

During the construction of the current Cathedral of Curitiba it has served as a Mother Church (1875-1893). The style was colonial however in 1931 it was demolished due to its bad condition.

In 1946, the new church, named Church of Our Lady of Rosario of Saint Benedict or simple Rosario Church was inaugurated. In late Baroque style, it has a tiled façade. The tiles came from the original old church. The walls are adorned by tiles made in Portuguese style showing Passion. At its entrance has the tomb of Monsignor Celso, priest of the church for 21 years, who died in 1931.

Today is also known as the Sanctuary of Souls, titles originated by the tradition of masses during a funeral.

pajaran oznaczył to zdjęcie jeko użyteczne

Photo Information
Viewed: 1369
Points: 0
  • None
Additional Photos by Andre Bonavita (bona) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 1361 W: 113 N: 3425] (15057)
View More Pictures